Thursday, November 27, 2014

John Carpenter "LOST THEMES" Album Interview - Meltdown pt 2


  Earlier this week we posted part one of our bizarre interview with director/composer John Carpenter. We sat down with the filmmaker to talk about his debut solo album, Lost Themes, due for release early 2015.

 Be warned, however, our interview takes an unorthodox turn as Carpenter not only descends into a mouth of madness, but almost entirely avoids talking about his debut solo album, Lost Themes, due for release early 2015.

 Carpenter's inane, myopic delusions were not coerced, nor expected. What should be expected is his debut solo album, Lost Themes, due for release early 2015.



 Part 1 of our interview can be found here.

Since sundowning is all he's able to do in our interview, we will do all the plugging for him:

The first available track from Lost Themes, titled The Vortex, can be found here. The debut solo album by John Carpenter is expected to be released February 2015 by Sacred Bones.


                                                                                  -

AD: So, how did Rob Bottin burn you?

JC: We were rigging a shot and I--...[lights cigarette, coughsheavy sigh]

AD: Mr. Carpenter...?

JC: Brimley was the only one believed me. Wilford, I mean. Everyone else was all "it was an accident, John". Even Kurt, which hurt the most. I put everything into Kurt, I gave him a career. But every time I bring up Rob Bottin/You, Kurt acts like I'm some average John Carpenter with a mustache, but I'm Mr. John Mustache--err, John Carpenter... "Can't you just drop it? It was an accident." he'd whine, and he's for serious when he does it. He looks at me like my son when I ask him to put lotion on my feet. Rob Bottin is that disgusting. [...] Brimley talked to me later that night about Rob Bottin sneaking off in the night to the dogs. Keith said it was because he was impartial to them, really liked them. But I wasn't sure. I don't know, I trusted him about a little tiny nipple-bit before the fire incident, but...Brimley tried to warn me.

AD: So it was Wilford Brimley who initiated the mistrust?

JC: Not entirely, I mean, have you seen Rob's cheeks? Of course you have. You have a goddamn mirror, Rob. Brimley didn't initiate it, he nurtured it, coddled it, made it a man. A man of mistrust. Solid.

AD: Why didn't Brimley trust him?

JC: WHO SNEAKS OFF TO SEE A DOG!? YOU JUST SAY, "I'M GOING TO GO SEE THE DOGS". You sneak to fuck! And I don't trust someone who isn't honest about what they fuck. [...] Thank God for Wilford Brimley.

 At this point Carpenter angrily stormed off and made a phonecall. We waited fifteen minutes before we started to get up and leave. He saw us leaving and rushed (hobbled) back inside.

AD: Okay, are you feeling better?

JC: Like an alligator.

AD: Okay?

JC: [mocking] Okaayy.

AD: Lets talk about Lost Themes.What made you get back to composing and are you interested in composing for other directors?

JC: That's a really great question and I'll tell you what: So Bottin was rigging the Hallahan-Thing Head to go up in flames when uhh...Macready shot it with a blast from the flamethrower. I was going over another thing with, I don't know, it was probably David Clennon or Cundey. Bottin shouted "all done!" and was fucking...laughing... He always laughs, but that one...it swam to his surface like vomit would most men.

AD: Well, good to not hear the "he/you" comparison anymore. [laughs]

JC: Nice fake laugh, Rob. Anyway, long story short--

AD: --Christ Almighty.

NOTE: It was in the opinion of this journalist and Below the Fold that the story was about to get much longer.

JC: When we went to pick up the shot, the goddamn thing exploded and singed part of my mustache and I got second-durgee [sic] burns on my arm. No one else was hurt. Bottin was laughing as he rushed in to assess the effects and I swear I'm the only person in the world who could see inside that broken window he called a soul. I've worked on a lot of movies with a butt-load of effects. And not once have we had an incident that...perfect. What's the definition of an incident? A fucking mishap. That wasn't an accident, it was  a plannedent [sic]. Look at Big Trouble In Little China - movie's just brimming to explode with shit - never did anything happen.

AD: Not for nothing, Mr. Carpenter, but--can I call you John?

JC: Call me when you're ready to talk about my debut solo album, Lost Themes. [...] Doesn't feel good to be played with, does it, Rob?

AD: Okay. Uhm, where was I? Uhm...oh, not for nothing, Mr. Carpenter, but...are you sure the stress of having skin-cancer, mixed with the trauma of the fire didn't cause this...delusion? Perhaps Rob really did mean no harm. I remember watching the making-of documentary on the--

JC: --MY BELT LOOKS LIKE A TENTACLE?

AD: Pardon...?

JC: Continue.

AD: On the making-of documentary for The Thing's DVD, Rob was very nice and informative, but most of all: he sang all kinds of praise for you.

JC: Did he say "heh, John's a funny guy, heh"?

AD: I actually think I remember that, yeah.

JC: That's his go-to compliment for me. My go-to is "have you seen his cheeks?!" But I actually mean it. [...] I'll tell you what...Rob was obsessed with me. Thank God for Brimley. Every time I look in the mirror, I see that face...

AD: You see Rob?

JC: Rob? I sure fucking hope not. I see Brimley. And I feel a worthy wave of contentment.

AD: Wilford Brimley really meant a lot to you...

JC: I'm not, I repeat: I AM NOT obsessed with Wilford Brimley and don't you dare fucking point out just how well we look alike, he and I. No matter how uncanny the appearance is. Why do you think Rob Bottin worked on Seven? HE KNEW I'D WATCH IT. HE GAVE ME CANCER.

AD: Okay, we're done.

JC: Lost Themes was a--

AD: No.

JC: Nice seeing you, Cheeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment